Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Belarus embarasses Team USA at WJC

All you can say is wow. I just finished watching Belarus upset the American team at the World Junior Championship 5-3, a result that may have a far-reaching impact on both teams in the tourney. Belarus, a team that was blasted 7-2 by Russia, jumped out to a quick 3-1 lead and chased USA goaltender Cory Schneider. Starter Al Montoya, however, didn't fare much better.

Belarus has never won a game in round robin play at the WJC, and there had been more than a few pundits calling for the tournament to be shortened to eight teams. I imagine that taking out the defending champs from the States should put an end to that.

I've got so much more to say, but unfortunately I'm headed back to Toronto early tomorrow. I'll leave the game analysis to my fellow hockey bloggers (look for Off Wing to weigh in shortly). I'm just glad that I was able to catch one of the WJC's biggest-ever upsets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker