Saturday, December 18, 2004

Cam Cole's in the know

The National Post's Cam Cole had a wonderful column in Thursday's paper about how various hockey writers are lining up on either side of the NHLPA/owners feud. Clicking here will give you the link to the article, although you'll need a subscription in order to be able to read it. I'm guessing that excludes 99 per cent of you, so here are some of the more interesting things he had to say:
...the War of '04 has polarized the sports media to an extent not seen since... well, the last time. Before we wade in, a disclaimer: Being from a small market where one of the great hockey teams of all time was sold off, piece by piece, because keeping the Edmonton Oilers together was economically impossible as salaries escalated, I am firmly in the "burn it to the ground and start over" camp.

And since the owners' salary-cap plan seems more likely to achieve that goal (even if by accident) than the players' "let the market decide" camp, it's been more than obvious which side appeals to me.
Cole goes on to say that just because his columns side with the owners, that doesn't mean he's necessarily a Bettman fan and a Goodenow hater:
Thing is, I don't talk to either one of them. Bettman will walk through a press room schmoozing every writer in the place, and breeze past me like I'm invisible. Each time it happens, I think: "You must be doing something right, kid." Goodenow, I believe, would not urinate on me if I caught fire. I'm cool with that.
As far as I'm concerned, Cole is the best guy writing about hockey anywhere right now. Problem is, he's not being read by the diehards who would find him the most interesting, or, for that matter, the large market American fans being spoon-fed by Larry Brooks.

1 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, December 20, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Cam Cole a lot. He's like a big cuddly teddy bear. A teddy bear that can write.

— AC
http://www.foxymoron.org/blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker