Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Back in B.C.

Attribute the derth of posts recently to an impromptu trip to B.C. — I'm in Kamloops at the moment — although, as promised previously, I am soon to become the blogging fiend of yesteryear. Hurrah for that.

I have been following the hockey world's recent happenings on my journey, thanks in no small part to The Hockey News' terrific World Championship magazine (on newstands now). It was a little bit of deja vu for myself, as during my last trek out west for Christmas, I had picked up THN's World Jr. Championship issue for in-flight reading. Here we are five months later, and now I'm being floored by all of the great information parcelled in this thing. It really is a hockey nerd's delight (and how many things can you say that about).

Among the many tidbits offered up is a quick runthrough of each of the 50-odd previous tournaments. Filed in the Did You Know department: The World Championship was played outdoors until the early 1960s. Hmmmm, so much for the Heritage Classic game.

I took in a snorer of a game between Denmark and Sweden yesterday morning (the Swedes won 7-0), and Canada and Slovenia are on deck for about eight hours from now. The man (or boy, as it were) you should be watching is Slovenia's Anze Kopitar, who is expected to be a top selection in this summer's NHL entry draft (should it occur). I pitched a story about Kopitar back in January, and while I never got the chance to write it, Mr. Lebrun from CP penned a version yesterday that covers some of the bases. As long as someone's writing these stories, I suppose.

Also of note, the Kelowna Rockets dusted off the Kootenay Ice in the WHL semifinals on Sunday and await the winner of the Brandon-Prince Albert series. Expect the Rockets to plow through either squad in the league finals and be serious contenders for the Memorial Cup later this month.

I've got a pile more to talk about, but it'll have to wait. Pick up that THN magazine and catch some of the great hockey being played. That, of course, being when Denmark's not playing.

I head back in Toronto this weekend, but expect to hear from me before that.

1 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, May 03, 2005, Blogger deepfriedgold said...

Man, I can't get any of the games down in FLA. How did Latvia get four goals against us?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker