Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Rankings from Duha

For last Saturday's paper, venerable Globe and Mail columnist Eric Duhatschek, known for simplicity's sake as Duha in the newsroom, ranked all 30 NHL teams based on how they fared in the league's free agency scramble the past few weeks.

While I don't agree with much of what he wrote — the Oilers at No. 2? — the piece is well worth a read. I would have loved to see Eric go more out on a limb with some of his forecasts for the revamped squads, although that's a minor quibble. In my mind, seeing a full-colour sports centrespread on hockey in August is never a bad thing.

Now if they could just give me an assignment like this...

3 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, August 24, 2005, Blogger Jes Gőlbez said...

I wish they would give you the assignment. "Duha's" analysis, while well-written, isn't very good. Chalk it up to another writer that doesn't know economics very well.

Carolina #25 and an UGLY off-season? My god...get your hand out of your Canadian-centric ass!

 
At 12:58 PM, August 24, 2005, Anonymous Ben said...

Seriously... Boston went from having 5 guys under contract to being projected by many to be one of the top 3 teams in the eastern conference and he has them at 18.

I think Carolina actually made some really smart moves. I'd have them in the good category.

 
At 1:24 PM, August 26, 2005, Blogger Ryan Wolstat said...

Can't say I totally understand the bashing the Leafs are taking everywhere.
I know it's fashionable to blast them and JFJ did get burned with his stupid idea that some of Iggy, Vinny, St. Louis, Hossa etc. would be available next year... why he thought they might be escapes me...
But I think last years squad that everyone is dearly missing is severely overrated.
Leetch is half the player he once was, Roberts and Joe were awesome but hurt often, especially Nieuwendyk, Nolan never ever played, Mogilny was hurt and ineffective...

I like the new roster more actually.
The forwards are pretty damn solid, but having Kaberle on your first pairing is never a good sign.
If Belfour stays healthy this is a team that can compete for a top 4 spot.

And the Leafs will have tons of cash next year to bring in Luongo or someone like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker