Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Senators trade Marian Hossa for Dany Heatley

UPDATE My apologies... the defenceman included in the deal is Greg Devries and not Chris Phillips as I was informed earlier. That certainly swings things in favour of the Senators on this one, as Devries was overpaid at $2.28-million.

Wow. With hockey news at its lowest point it has been since the free agent frenzy began, hockey pundits didn't see this coming.

Hours after signing high-scoring winger Marian Hossa to an $18-million/3-year deal, the Ottawa Senators turned around and shipped Hossa to the Atlanta Thrashers for young phenom Dany Heatley.

Once again, wow.

Hossa must have really burned his bridges with the Senators during his salary negotiations in order for Sens GM John Muckler to deal him. While Hossa did have 36 goals and 82 points last year, his comparisons to Jarome Iginla weren't exactly endearing him to hockey fans.

That said, I'm sure 28 other GMs would be interested in Heatley's services.

A reader's email yesterday asked me about Thrashers GM Don Waddell not having signed Ilya Kovalchuk and Dany Heatley, and I had planned on talking about that today. Waddell's plan to sign the pair to deals similar to Marian Gaborik was thrown out the window when Rick Nash signed his beefy deal, forcing the general manager to seek out other options.

Trading Heatley should not have been one of them.

4 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, August 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to Don Waddell, Dany asked to be traded. He didn't think he would be successful in Atlanta due to past events. So what was Waddell to do? Trading Heatley was the only answer. I think both DW and Heatley tried to do what was best for themselves and each other. Although Dany is a huge question mark, I'm sorry to see him go.

 
At 6:59 PM, August 23, 2005, Blogger John F. said...

If this request was simply out of the bad memories (brought on by the accident and fall out) I can't blame Dany at all... Of course the fans would prefer him to tough it out and try to build new, better memories but still.

James, what are your thoughts about DeVries addition to the Thrashers defense? That's been your main sticking point on the Birds being a contender or pretender...

 
At 11:21 PM, August 23, 2005, Blogger Phil said...

I agree, the Thrashers lose hear but i also heard what "anonymous" heard. That Danny was having trouble with the accident. I think he's going to have a great year in Ottawa getting away from it all. Like I posted on my blog, I wonder now whats going to happen with Kovalchuk. He and Heatley were friends and he said he would not negotiate till the Thrashers dealt with Heatley, and by dealt, it seemed it meant re-signed. Will he come back now? I still do not see why a team has not put an RFA bid on him - he's one of the best young players in the game. He's worth the picks.

 
At 10:49 PM, August 25, 2005, Blogger James Mirtle said...

I agree. In any other circumstance, Waddell would have been crazy to let him go. I wrote what I did before I knew Heatley had requested the move, but looking back, I should have known. Otherwise he may have retired as a Thrasher.

John, I think DeVries has the potential to really help Atlanta, but he's no saviour by any means. The Thrashers really need a true mean and nasty shutdown blueliner before I think they'll be anything close to a contender.

That said, Hartley did have DeVries in Colorado and he played some great hockey there. He'll certainly be one of his go-to guys.

A defence of Sutton, Modry, DeVries, Havelid, Hnidy, Exelby, Kloucek and rookie Coburn shouldn't scare anyone. This should, however, be Atlanta's year to make the playoffs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker