Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Canadian Interuniversity Sport

This is what's going to consume a lot of my time from now on.

Apologies to my non-Canadian readers for bringing up a sports scene they likely don't know (or care to know) much about, but I'm going to be expanding my horizons, as they say, from talking exclusively about hockey on the site.

The Globe has assigned me to write a weekly piece on the CIS, Canada's version of college sports, and right now, football is king for CIS fans. My column is just getting off the ground, but I wanted to put the invitation out there for those involved with the CIS to contact me: jmirtle [at] globeandmail.ca

Coaches, fans, players... whoever, can feel free to run something by me. I'm of the belief that amateur sport needs a higher profile in this country, and this is certainly a good place to start. McMaster University grad Jesse Lumsden's (pictured) recent attempt at jumping from the CIS to the NFL shows the level of talent that is in these leagues; it's just a matter of mining for those stories that haven't yet been told.

Don't worry — I'll still be blogging about hockey. When I get the time, that is.

2 Comments:

At 3:40 AM, September 19, 2005, Blogger Michael said...

It won't be long now 'till the NFL decides to expand with Canadian cities. Then the NFL will go global with their tallent like the NBA and NHL already does.

Don't laugh. It's possible!

 
At 9:33 AM, September 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the previous poster underestimates the intense dislike the rest of the world has for "American Football". But on another note, if you are writing about CIS football, give CanadaWest some love. There is some great football being played out on the prairies, especially in Saskatoon and Winnipeg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker