Monday, September 19, 2005

Hear that buzzing?

One of the first things I did when I got this site was to install a hit counter, simply because it's the best way to find out what people are saying about you. And, thus far in this blog's short history, a lot of what I'll call 'poppycock' has been written about me. Take this recent entry in another blog:
James Mirtle: A professional sportwriter in Toronto, his stuff has been excellent, although he has just recently began commenting on other sports. He has a lot of links, as does PuckUpdate. He is contracted for Hockey articles on the new Hockeybuzz.com, paysite. Future hockey at his own site may suffer.
No, friends, I will not be near Mr. Eklund's latest endeavor, much less writing for it. I'm sure longtime readers would find that suggestion laughable, considering I was critical of the old incarnation of his rumours site.

Eric at Offwing, who has been putting my blog to shame lately with his mass posting abilities, commented on Eklund's ever-changing back story.

As Eric says, it's interesting so many mainstream hockey people are associating with this fellow when in the past he has clearly been fabricating all sorts of credentials. I never had a problem with Eklund reporting 'rumours' on his site; it was the fact he claimed to be a hockey journalist when he clearly wasn't that bothered me.

I'm friends with a few of those writing blogs on the site, and I'm not in any way condemning them for doing so. I imagine with the traffic levels Eklund generates, doing so is simply good for business. Had they asked me beforehand, however, I would have advised against it.

As it stand now, nothing on the site has really struck me as must-read material. So far, the most interesting thing I've read on the site is a bizarre quibble between Inside Hockey's Kevin Greenstein and Stan Fischler that they are continuing on their blogs — both on the same site.

As I said, it's interesting, but only in a sideshow sort of way.

9 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, September 19, 2005, Blogger The Puck Stops Here said...

James

I am wondering if you would know what kind of salary Eklund is paying to his celebrity bloggers. I assume it would have to be significant to draw some of the people he has - especially given the fact that he is at best a mystery frontman with questionable credentials. It would have to take quite a bit to have them risk a hit to their reputations to be part of this likely sinking ship.

How can Eklund have possibly raised these kinds of funds? How quickly until he is unable to make payroll?

 
At 8:04 PM, September 19, 2005, Blogger James Mirtle said...

I'll ask Kevin or Iain, although my guess is that he isn't paying anything. In the media, publicity is what helps sell, and Eklund's traffic has been so through the roof that associating with him, as I said, is good business.

 
At 8:53 PM, September 19, 2005, Blogger Grampapinhead said...

Mr. Mirtle,
I sincerely apologize for the mix-up, and mis-informaion at my site. I am very much relieved that you have no association with 'Hockey-Buzz'. Your sentiments regarding 'Hockey-Buzz', mimmick my suspicions. I will post a formal apology this coming Saturday. My instincts tell me to post one immediately, but my Hockey readers know that I only post on Hockey on Saturdays. Please check back on Saturday.
With Humble apologies,
GrampaPinhead

 
At 10:23 PM, September 19, 2005, Blogger The Puck Stops Here said...

I don't get it. What does somebody like Stan Fischler think he has to gain by working for free for a kid like Eklund? Does he hope that maybe he will get noticed and maybe get hired by the MSG Network and maybe get to publish a few books? Nope he's already got that.

Far as I can tell the only thing he would accomplish is by working for free, he shows that good journalists will write for free. Its not much of a slippery slope to get to the point that free is the going rate for a journalist (save for maybe a few superstars). That happened in independant pro wrestling. A few stars were willing to work for free under certain (questionable) circumstances and that dropped the going rate for everyone else. People breaking into the game find that they have to work for free t get their first foot in the door.

 
At 12:19 AM, September 20, 2005, Anonymous pete said...

Who needs hockey journalists?

Tom Benjamin will show us the way, Jimbo.

 
At 11:21 AM, September 20, 2005, Blogger Jes Gőlbez said...

Mmm Poppycock!

Much better than Crunch N' Munch :)

 
At 2:00 PM, September 20, 2005, Blogger Coach Dennis said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:51 PM, September 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eklund's constantly changing bio is what slays me. What is amazing is how he so quickly and effortlessly he shed his skin when called out on his bogus NHL front office background. Then came the alleged best selling book that made him wealthy, but when challenged on that he backed away again. Now he has reinvented himself as being from the "entertainment" industry, whatever that means.

I guess he is a harmless sort of fraud in that he isn't taking money aimed at charity or anything. Still, it's amusing to think that an otherwise intelligent fan would voluntarily reach into his pocket to pay this guy for a collection of conventional wisdom and outright guesses.

 
At 8:51 PM, September 21, 2005, Blogger John F. said...

Check out the crazy look in Jes eye! Keep him away from your poppycock, James! :-o ;-)

I really have no comment on the Eklund stuff... I mean, I called his following a Flock of Seagulls and I stand by that assessment... While you guys have problems with certain aspects of Eklund, my biggest qualm is him misleading the masses during the lockout and then covering up his trail (making it so you could not see his archives of misstatements and such). He is much like that psychic guy on TV - John something...? He's only right 10 percent of the time but his TV show presents it as if he was right almost all the time...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker