Monday, October 17, 2005

On hiatus

Things have been lagging a bit here, and there's a good reason: A member of the Mirtle clan has graced Toronto with his/her presence, and I'm playing host.

I've got a few ideas percolating, but until I can do them justice, they're on hold. Let's just say that this season has so far held quite a few surprises, not the least of which is Brett Hull's retirement announcement five games into the season.

Will he be the only old-timer who realizes they can't contribute in the new NHL® a year-and-a-half removed from 2003-04?

And how about Simon Gagne and Steve Sullivan, two sub-200 pounders, leading the league in scoring? Gagne in particular is getting a lot of face time on ESPN.com's mugshot wall.

Before Martin St. Louis did it in 2004, guess who the last Art Ross winner who weighed under 200 pounds was. Mouseover to the right for the answer: Wayne Gretzky (1994)

They've been saying it's not exactly a big man's game anymore, but the statistics will really tell the story. So far they have.

♦ ♦ ♦

My NHL Centre Ice package will be hooked up this weekend (finally), so I imagine I'll be spending even more of my Tuesday nights watching Buffalo and Carolina beat up on each other. I can't wait.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, October 17, 2005, Blogger ninja said...

Mirtle Beach, do you get the NHL channel? If so, can you describe a regular programming day? Are games replayed the next day? If not, they should be.

Having upgraded my cable package twice in the last few months, first for the Fox Soccer Channel, GOLtv, etv, and second with Center Ice, an inevitable comparison arose; the soccer channel replays weekend fixtures. Center Ice airs 2.5 hrs of coverage, per channel, per day. This strikes me as a tremendous waste of resources, and another lost opportunity by the NHL.

Replay the games, so my $129.99 empowers me to consume even more NHL than I already do, because realizing the potential of 10 channels piped into my home daily is a rookie MBAs first move to grow fandom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker