Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The 2006 trade deadline

Deadline day is Thursday at 3 p.m. EST, and I've yet to opine on the fracas that it should be. While some are predicting it'll be a quiet day, there are a ton of teams looking to shuttle out soon-to-be unrestricted free agents and I feel we just might have a few big deals made.

Allow me to distill the rumour mill into a few moves that I actually think we may see:
  • TSN's Bob McKenzie says he has it on good authority that the Edmonton Oilers will almost definitely pick up a goaltender. Who that is, however, is anyone's guess. Dwayne Roloson, Martin Biron, Mika Noronen, Ed Belfour and Curtis Joseph have all been talked about as candidates, and, of those, Joseph and Noronen seem the most likely. Belfour will be the most unlikely to move. If I was Oilers GM Kevin Lowe, Roloson would be who I'd want, although it's difficult to imagine the Wild wanting to deal to a team ahead of them in the standings.

  • I think Mark Recchi's going to be dealt from Pittsburgh, and there's a good chance he could be returning to the Philadelphia Flyers. From what I've heard, Calgary Flames GM Darryl Sutter has enquired about the Kamloops native as well.

  • Todd Bertuzzi's staying put in Vancouver.

  • The Flyers will probably be the deadline's busiest team, as in addition to Recchi they're seeking another defenceman and a defensive forward, namely Derek Morris and Wes Walz. Injuries have forced GM Bob Clarke's hand, and this team hasn't been playing particularly well.

  • Brendan Witt will be dealt from Washington and there are a number of teams interested (almost everyone interested in getting a blueliner will be in the mix here).

  • On the dumping side of things, the Chicago Blackhawks should be the busiest. They'd like to move Tyler Arnason (Anaheim's interested) and players like Jim Dowd, Jassen Cullimore and Matthew Barnaby are getting some interest from around the league. The word is the Tampa Bay Lightning would like to regain the services of Cullimore, who was with the Lightning duringtheir Stanley Cup run.

  • The New York Islanders will be moving Mark Parrish and perhaps even Mike York as they've fallen well out of the playoff picture. Carolina is interested in Parrish as a possible replacement for Erik Cole, who will miss the rest of the season with a neck injury.

  • The Detroit Red Wings and New Jersey Devils won't make any moves due to salary cap concerns.

  • The Boston Bruins have three prominent pending unrestricted free agents in Sergei Samsonov, Brian Leetch and P.J. Axelsson.

  • I'd also be surprised if Olli Jokinen isn't moved, and the Ottawa Senators are said to be making the biggest push. This may turn into a bidding war, however, with the Eastern Conference teams trying to keep the big centre — one of the NHL's top goal scorers this season — away from rivals.
I'll add to this list should I see any more rumblings that sound plausible.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1:03 AM, March 08, 2006, Anonymous David Johnson said...

Edmonton: I can't see Minnesota trading Roloson to Edmonton. My guess is they really want to get CuJo but I am not sure if Phoenix will trade him. I am not sure why the Oilers would want Noronen. He's hardly played this year and I am not sure you can depend on a guy who has only played 167 minutes all year and just 67 games in his entire career.

I agree with you on Bertuzzi. I don't think he will be dealt by before the deadline, but I could see him dealt in the off season.

Brian Leetch to the Rangers is a good possibility. It just makes too much sense.

My gut tells me that Jokinen will stay in Florida and will end up signing a contract at some point before the end of the year and Luongo might then sign in the summer as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker