Monday, June 26, 2006

Players react to being dealt

One of the frustrating things when players are dealt is that you don't always get to hear from all sides of a trade, as local outlets are often more interested in the players coming in than those leaving.

With that in mind, here's a look at some reaction from players who were traded (and other interested parties) over the weekend:

Alex Tanguay
"This is the new CBA; it's about money. We hadn't had any (contract) conversations with Colorado. That was a little disappointing, but it's a business and I understand that.

"When I saw they signed Joe and seeing what Jose (makes), I didn't know if I was going to be a part of the mix."

Todd Bertuzzi
"I've been in Vancouver a long time. Basically I grew up there, and have a lot of friends. Awesome teammates.

"But the reality has set in, (and) I'm extremely excited to come there. I've always had a good relationship with Mike and I'm looking forward to coming in and having a good start. It's a fresh start for me. It's something I need, and my family needs."

Alex Auld
''It's kind of a neat chain of events. It feels great and nice to be wanted in a trade. There's no secret what a star Roberto Luongo is, and I can't focus on filling his shoes. I just have to play the way I know I can.''

Jordan Leopold
“I’m excited. It’s one of those days when you’re traded you don’t know if it’s good or bad. I’m thrilled to join a great franchise.”

Roberto Luongo's agent Gilles Lupien on Luongo
"He was crying. Roberto wanted to stay there. He has got a new house (in Coral Springs) and the furniture was coming in this week. I was 100 percent sure he wouldn't be traded. But I think this is a trade (Keenan) has wanted to do for three or four months."

Luongo's teammate Steve Montador
"I wouldn't say I was shocked because I'd heard they weren't making progress (on a new contract). But there's a little bit of sadness, that we just moved one of the greatest goaltenders in the game today."

Tampa Bay GM Jay Feaster on Luongo
"I like to think we became a better hockey team last night without doing a damn thing, because Roberto is out of the Southeast Division. Not having to face him eight times (a year) is a great thing."

Olli Jokinen on Luongo
"My first reaction was shock. I thought maybe I was still asleep.

"For him it's a fresh start, but it's a big loss for our hockey club. In my mind he's the best goalie in the league. It's going to be a strange feeling going to training camp without seeing 'Louie.' "

Minnesota Wild GM Doug Riseborough
"What was exciting about our deal is that it's the ultimate thing we're trying to accomplish. We've got a good player that you've developed in Roloson, and you now parlay that into something that's enough to get something going. Now you've got to put something else in — that's a prospect that you've developed and drafted.

"But I'm not sure you can make that deal unless you've got some other prospects who are developing. It just shows you have it all working together."

Lupien on Luongo, again:
"For some players, it's only money. They play hockey and they want the value, the money. For some players, it's family. Roberto's Italian. His wife's Italian. They want their parents around, grandfather and grandmother, kids all around the house. So he was willing to take less money for the comfort of family. But now that's over.

"Now he has to look at something else. That's why he's going to report [to Vancouver] and that's why I think he's going to sign. Management in Vancouver has to make him feel comfortable, but I don't see any problems."

Vancouver Canucks GM Dave Nonis:
"Talking to our players today, they've taken notice. People feel good. They feel re-energized. We're going to camp with a different coaching staff. We're going to camp with different players. We're going to camp with different expectations. Those are all good things — things that drive players and teams to be successful. I am excited."

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, June 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gilles Lupien can thank himself for getting Luongo traded. His style of dealing and Luongo's demands is why Florida got rid of him.

 
At 5:00 PM, June 26, 2006, Anonymous grace said...

You should get haloscan or something so that you'd at least be able to track the anonymous posters. heh.

I wonder how long before Luongo pulls a Pronger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker