Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Ovechkin to captain Caps?

It seems that could be the case, with former captain Jeff Halpern signing with the Dallas Stars last week:
"The real question is, is Ovechkin ready to do it?" Hanlon said to a small group of reporters yesterday. The coach said "the process has already started," implying the matter had been under discussion among team officials.

Hanlon cited examples, such as what Calgary did before naming Jarome Iginla its captain by having a substitute temporarily fill the role until Iginla got older.

"Or do you do what we did when I was in Detroit with Yzerman when we had [numerous candidates], yet they named Yzerman captain at 21 and they just worked with him," Hanlon said. "That's my thought process, [but] the final decision hasn't been made."
I bet it happens, if only because of the dearth of candidates. This is one team where the goaltender really should be allowed to be the captain.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Switz said...

I think this would be a little premature. Not that I don't think he could be a good captain someday, but he seems a little shy and reserved at this point in his career. I think he also would need a better command of the english language, which will come. To me, whats best is that he is allowed to continue to develop without the added burden of being the team leader. We all know he is the face of the franchise anyway, why the added pressure?

 
At 12:55 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger Stormbringer said...

Wholeheartedly agree. I never thought I'd say this, but if I were a Caps fan, I'd hate Olaf's being a goaltender just 'cause it prevents him from being captain.

That said, even though I can't stand the Caps, I have always liked Olie the Goalie...that is, as long as he's not in goal against my Canes. ;)

As for Ovechkin getting the Captainancy...no shock here if he does. Afterall, if Sidney Crosby has already been made Captain in his first season AND at the tender age of 18, then why not "Alexander the Great" following suit? Personally, I think Alex needs to grow a little more as a player and leader, just like Sid *really* needed to grow a little more before being given the coveted 'C'.

 
At 1:48 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger ScottyWazz said...

Being a closet Caps fan, I have to say I agree with the Olie thing, but personally-- I can see them going sans a captain, lest they go out and find a vet to help out.

I bet there could be the max number of alternates on the team, yet I have a sneaking suspicion that the Caps could name Zubrus captain if for nothing else but for his tenure in the NHL.

 
At 2:37 PM, July 11, 2006, Blogger James Mirtle said...

I think someone like Jamie Heward or Bryan Muir will get it long before Zubrus.

 
At 2:47 PM, July 12, 2006, Anonymous Doogie2K said...

Why can't goalies be captains, anyway? Seems like a rather arbitrary distinction. Was it that much of a hassle when Bill Durnan was Habs' captain that they changed the rule?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker