Thursday, November 30, 2006

Vote for Rory

I get all kinds of crackpot emails because of this site, so I didn't think much of it when I originally ignored one message early last week imploring me to vote Rory Fitzpatrick into the 2007 NHL all-star game.

But, you know, I wish I hadn't as it seems this is one movement that's really starting to take off:
NHL All-Star Fan Balloting
Western Conference
(as of 11/27/06)
Defensemen
Scott Niedermayer Anaheim 233,522
Nicklas Lidstrom Detroit 214,789
Chris Pronger Anaheim 134,185
Dion Phaneuf Calgary 110,544
Sergei Zubov Dallas 59,269
Rob Blake Los Angeles 51,584
Mattias Ohlund Vancouver 43,340
John-Michael Liles Colorado 38,146
Scott Hannan San Jose 34,867
Robyn Regehr Calgary 34,552
Lubomir Visnovsky Los Angeles 31,664
*Rory Fitzpatrick Vancouver 31,310
Mathieu Schneider Detroit 30,628

* Write-in candidate
You wonder how long it'll be before the NHL comes to the conclusion an open, online vote was a bad idea.

10 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, November 30, 2006, Blogger Andy Grabia said...

They never will. Baseball has had weird stuff like happen for years, and they've never fixed it. They should just get rid of the game, to be honest.

 
At 3:08 PM, November 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, hockey needs to keep the All-Star game -- so the NBA's and the NFL's Pro Bowl look less meaningless by comparison!

 
At 4:18 PM, November 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only assume you never visit HockeysFuture, the Vote for Rory campaign has been going on for quite some time now.

 
At 4:21 PM, November 30, 2006, Blogger James Mirtle said...

I didn't think it was worth addressing until I saw him start showing up on the NHL's voting numbers.

 
At 4:41 PM, November 30, 2006, Anonymous David Johnson said...

One has to wonder what Matheiu Schneider feels like trailing Rory Fitzpatrick.

 
At 4:59 PM, November 30, 2006, Blogger Tom L said...

Rand,

This idea started, where else, on the Sabres team board (only the best one on the site... bitches!) in this thread

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=313108

All hail Lecherous for Project Mayhem!

Ta,

BTW, I can't do it. I can't vote for Rory.

 
At 7:25 PM, November 30, 2006, Anonymous Tyler said...

The hockey purist will say that it is bad for the game and the marketing staff for the league will say it has resulted in a viral media campaign giving the game and league exposure that they never could have purchased.
I guess, like most things, it is all a matter of perception.

 
At 10:09 PM, November 30, 2006, Anonymous Ben said...

Rory isn't a bad choice...Habs fans must remember in 1994 medias said that Rivet-Fitzpatrick-Wilkie will be the next "Big Three" in Montreal...

 
At 10:16 PM, November 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kent Brockman:

"I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply doesn't work."

 
At 12:56 AM, December 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took a look at that voting site's code - I don't think it would be extraordinarily difficult to write a script that just votes for someone over and over again. Perhaps someone with more drive than me will take it on and write in a few more phoenix players.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker