Holiday best wishes
Christmas is a pretty rough time for a lot of families, whether it's those that have to spend the holidays a few thousand kilometres from home (hi Mom!) or if major crises come up right around the holidays.
Here are a few hockey-related best wishes for today:
- Best wishes to Montreal Canadiens GM Bob Gainey and family, who are dealing with the loss of Laura Gainey a few short weeks ago.
- Best wishes to Jeremy Roenick, who will be taking some time away from hockey to tend to his ailing 13-year-old daughter Brandi. I recall reading about the Roenicks being quite the equestrian family, with JR's wife Tracy attempting to qualify for the Olympics in the past as a rider and young Brandi being a high-level competitor at U.S. national competitions. It's a real shame to hear something serious has beset the family, especially at this time of year.
- Best wishes to rookie Phil Kessel as he deals with the aftermath of a testicular cancer diagnosis and surgery.
- Best wishes to Minnesota Wild winger Stephane Veilleux, who had his face crushed by a puck in Friday's game and spent the night in a Detroit area hospital.
- Best wishes to Toronto Maple Leafs centre Mike Peca, who is laid up for the season with a broken leg after taking an ugly hit in a game against Chicago on Friday.
- Best wishes to the entire Mirtle clan, whooping it up back in Kamloops without me. I'll be home next year gang!