Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Late-night links

I don't know what's going on, but I've got a bushel full of blog material and only very limited time to get it out there so... we're stuck with a rundown (for now):
  • The Globe and Mail's Bill Houston has a great piece on Hockey Day in Canada which gives you a good idea what this year's festivities will include. Unable to contain myself, I wrote this silly mess about HDiC earlier this week.

  • Whenever we hear talk of the Pittsburgh Penguins' ownership group, it's almost always regarding Mario Lemieux and a faceless set of 'financial backers.' Well, today's Pittsburgh Tribune-Review gives us a portrait of the team's real moneyman, Ron Burkle, and it's well worth a read to see for yourself what kind of change there is actually invested in this franchise. A big thanks to our friend, Neate Sager, for pointing this one out.

  • The Toronto Marlies are in trouble, says today's Toronto Star, which was something I saw first hand on the weekend when I took in part of one of the local AHL team's games. It's really unfortunate where this team's rink is located, how much they're charging for tickets and the low, low crowd turnouts. The product on Saturday was dreadful in a 3-0 loss, something that you can blame on all of the callups the NHL team has made, but honestly, how can MLSE expect anyone to pay the top ticket price ($56) for this? The calibre of live hockey-watching opportunities in this city is the worst of anywhere I've lived — bar none. (Your options? Pay $250 for the Leafs game or stay home.)

  • More from Houston, this from today's paper (the story above is from tomorrow's), as he talks about how the NHL is taking its regional broadcasters back to school in terms of how they are shooting games. Anyone who has Centre Ice has seen the disparity in quality between some of the regional broadcasters and what we've grown accustomed to in Canada, and any move towards a more standardized 'shooting' technique sounds good to me.

  • And finally, Kukla's Korner and its readers have a beat on an interesting tale about Detroit Red Wings' former great Larry Aurie. I present this here without comment, as I honestly haven't had time to wade through the entire thing — but it is interesting.
More tomorrow (time permitting), including some talk about Searching for Bobby Orr (which I'm currently plowing through), a fresh look at the Canada's world juniors and whatever other randomness I decide to post on my lone day off.

The traffic and discussion here lately has been terrific — sincere thanks for stopping by.



At 1:25 AM, January 11, 2007, Anonymous ken said...

"The calibre of hockey available to watch live in this city is the worst of anywhere I've lived — bar none."

Are you serious? Are you suggesting that some junior team in Kamloops could beat the Toronto Maple Leafs?

At 8:47 AM, January 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll enjoy the Stephen Brunt book so much, you'll read it twice!

At 11:13 AM, January 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He wrote the opportunities were the worst and it's true. The Marlies are horrifically overpriced and the Leafs are impossible to see live without some serious persistence.

And I assume that you meant professional hockey because there are tonnes of opportunities to watch local junior and lower level hockey.

I've heard a lot of good things about the book, mostly from RC, and it's next on my reading list. I look forward to reading your take on the book.

At 11:31 AM, January 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad they're giving seminars to some of the regional broadcasters for camera work.
I don't know how many times this season I've watched a game on Centre Ice and after a big save, the damn camera focuses in on the goalie's face while the play moves up the ice.

At 2:50 PM, January 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend who's in grad school in the U.S. e-mailed me a while back and mentioned he had bought the Centre Ice package adn the quality of the broadcasts was very poor.

And yes, the Brunt book is good....


Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker