Tuesday, February 27, 2007

On the air with XM

This will have to be quick, as I have to be in the newsroom early tomorrow to help kick off Globe on Hockey's deadline coverage, but I wanted to say a few words about my turn on Home Ice tonight.

I haven't invested in a satellite radio hookup, so I hadn't heard the station's all-hockey channel until entering the downtown Toronto studio tonight. From that two-hour snippet, I liked what I heard (although perhaps that's not a surprise given the phrase "all-hockey" is involved) and was pretty impressed at how professional the whole operation was.

There was a rotating group of bloggers and minor sports media personalities shuffling through during the Ice Cap show's three hours, and veteran Edmonton sportscaster Ron Rimer (brother of Jeff Rimer, the voice of the Columbus Blue Jackets) was running the show, at least in terms of the on-air business of welcoming callers and coordinating who would talk when.

Eklund was there, too, decked out in dark shades and a toque, and he was sort of the "star" of the show given he's in town for his turn on Sportsnet tomorrow afternoon. I will say this much: He obviously loves what he's doing.

The XM building itself was pretty impressive, with multiple studios — including one that looks out onto the Avenue and Davenport intersection — and a dedicated group of guys running the place.

Radio's really not my forte, and I've never done a call-in show, but it was fun trying to respond immediately to whatever is thrown at you by callers from all over North America. Talk radio's a tricky medium in that you've got such a finite amount of time with which to make your point, and with so many different voices looking to have their say, it can get rather crowded.

All in all, though, I think it ended up being a pretty entertaining night. Let me know what you thought if you happened to tune in.

2 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, February 27, 2007, Blogger sager said...

That's cool you were invited on... some of us don't have the verbal chops for radio... we only have the face for radio.

 
At 10:34 AM, February 27, 2007, Blogger sager said...

(I was talking about myself.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker