Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Ryan Smyth blues

I do my best to make a quick run through the various blogger memorials for Ryan Smyth today at Globe on Hockey.

There's been a ton of great material written on the blogs in the aftermath of yesterday's shocking deal, and I think the overwhelming feeling from Edmonton fans is that this was that much harder to swallow simply because of how unexpected it was. Right up until 20 minutes before the trade deadline, we'd heard reports that Smyth's deal was all but signed, and even I almost fell out of my chair when I heard just after 3 p.m. that the New York Islanders, of all teams, had pried him away.

It's still hard to believe, really, and from Eric Duhatschek's report today, it doesn't sound like Smyth will be back as an Oiler anytime soon.
  • Tom Benjamin has a good take here
  • Duhatschek has more here and Tyler Dellow's piece is a must-read (although don't mind the vitriol)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, February 28, 2007, Blogger D.R Green said...

its a shame that he had to go, i thought he would be like joe sakic. But I guess this is a professional leauge and big names, even big hearts do get traded...but there are always teams getting good out of no where, edmonton will be back in the race again someday

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker