Thursday, March 01, 2007

Are you there, God? It's me Brian

If you read just one hockey-related article today, make sure you check out Anaheim GM Brian Burke's dear diary from the weeks leading up to the trade deadline:
Trying to trade is like playing musical chairs. You are always afraid to you aren't going to have a chair at the end. You worry that if you say 'no' on one deal, you may not get any. Also, there is a "keeping up with the Joneses mentality", particularly in the Western Conference.
My guess is that's a pretty accurate description of how Burke felt at the end of Tuesday after ending musical chairs with just Brad May added to his stable.

Great idea for a post-deadline piece by USA Today.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, March 01, 2007, Anonymous Al Larsen said...

I talk to Florida assistant GM Randy Sexton about Todd Bertuzzi, and he tells me "the guy we like is Perry." I offer him profanity.

Best line in the article!

 
At 2:28 PM, March 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Insightful.
Apparently they have telephone communication in Montreal.
I didn't know if Gainey was up on that bit of technology.

 
At 4:27 PM, March 02, 2007, Anonymous Gooch said...

missing from Burke's blog

Sunday, Feb. 11
I take some PCP, and wake up in a daze with two decapitated hookers in my office. Christ, I can't believe I did this again. I stuff them into Ryan Getzlaf's locker. He's a good kid, and should be out in 5 to 10 years.

Monday, Feb. 12
I drink two bottles of Chivas Regal, call GM Dean Lombardi and sing on the top of my lungs 'When a Man Loves a Woman". Dean screams about how he'll never trade me Norstrom.

Tuesday, Feb. 13
Anaheim P.D. takes away Ryan Getzlaf. I smoke a spliff, and call Bobby Clarke to laugh at him on how Homer is twice the GM he was.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker