Friday, March 02, 2007

Roenick sits

The Globe and Mail's Grant Kerr caught up with Jeremy Roenick tonight in Vancouver, where the outspoken veteran was a healthy scratch for the Phoenix Coyotes' game against the Canucks:
"My body's tired. I'm tired of a lot of certain mentalities that go along with this game," he said. "A lot of it I induce myself because of stuff I say, but I'm okay with that. If this happens to be the last year, I'll walk away knowing I had a pretty darn good career and I can enjoy my life after hockey."
I know JR's taken a lot of knocks this season for things he's said and done, but it really would be a shame if his career ends just a few goals shy of 500.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:25 AM, March 02, 2007, Anonymous Darren said...

Pah. You reap what you sow, and Roenick's always sought the media spotlight, whether he's on top or the bottom of his game. He flirts with controversy, then complains when he receives the wrong kind of attention.

The Coyotes ought to waive him, just to get him out of the dressing room.

 
At 3:13 PM, March 02, 2007, Anonymous Dennis Prouse said...

JR's act has worn pretty thin. He could have played the role of the classy veteran leader this year, helping out Gretzky with the young guys and positioning himself for a management role after his playing days. Instead, he's been a distraction and a pain in the butt all year.

On another JR related note, he is the one guy who I see as being hurt worst by the lockout. He just never did get his mojo back after the year off. It was a little more understandable for Brett Hull, who was getting near the end of the line even before the lockout, but for JR, who was in his mid-30s, that year off just killed him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker