Sunday, March 11, 2007

Simon dealt 25-game suspension

I had called for a 20-25 game suspension for Chris Simon, and that's how it was meted out by NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell and friends today at league headquarters.



At 5:36 PM, March 11, 2007, Anonymous ken said...

Colin Campbell reads your blog!! Quick, tell him to make OT 4-on-4 for a full 10 minutes!

At 7:48 PM, March 11, 2007, Blogger J. Michael Neal said...

Basically, Simon's statement boils down to, "I'm sorry for what I did, but I was not responsible for my actions." This is a classic example of the Art of the Apology as it has come to be practiced.

"What you saw Thursday is not the person, player and competitor that I am."

I'm sorry, Chris, but that is the person that you are. If you would like to submit evidence that it was some other player, who you are not, I'd be happy to examine it. However, to date, the only person I have seen swinging his stick in the video clip is you. That pretty clearly establishes that that is the player you are.

My disgust here is not limited to Chris Simon. It is directed at everyone who tries to apologize for something without straightforwardly taking responsibility for what they did. Legal defenses (very legitimately, so this is not a criticism) come with the phrase, "Yes, but ..." Apologies do not. Be a man and don't weasal out of what you did.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker