Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A look back at Round 1

Prediction >> Result

Eastern Conference
Buffalo in 4 >> Buffalo in 5
New Jersey in 5 >> New Jersey in 6
Rangers in 7 >> Rangers in 4
Ottawa in 6 >> Ottawa in 5

Western Conference
Detroit in 7 >> Detroit in 6
Minnesota in 7 >> Anaheim in 5
Dallas in 6 >> Vancouver in 7
Nashville in 6 >> San Jose in 5


Well, that sort of spells out where the surprises were on my end.

My feeling heading into Round 1 was that the Eastern Conference was relatively easy to pickem, and that the West would be a whole lot of coin tosses, series that went at least six, and more likely, seven games.

Given it was going to be so closely contested, it seemed a decent enough strategy to pick a few of the perceived underdogs and watch as chaos ensued. The general wisdom was that Anaheim and San Jose were coming out of the west; if both went down in Round 1, there would have been raised eyebrows all around.

That didn't happen. (And many of TSN's experts either ran the table or came mighty close, which is probably a first — at least in recent history.)

So, for the first time I can recall, my playoff pool teams are all in shambles after Round 1 (go Kyle Calder!) and now it's going to be all about sitting back and enjoying the games.

Ah, yes, and making a few more predictions. Round 2's should be up early tomorrow.


2007 playoff pickems results: 5-3
Maggie the monkey: 4-4
.

5 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, April 24, 2007, Anonymous Matt Gunn said...

You made some pretty good predictions, James. I was with you on the Minnesota pick, as it was actually the only series I got wrong.

I usually do horrible at predictions, but surprisingly I did pretty well this year, going 7-1, even getting the amount of games right on 3 series'. Check out mine if you'd like at www.mattgunn.ca

 
At 4:05 PM, April 24, 2007, Blogger Nick said...

I told you to watch Valtteri Filppula, James. Hopefully Calder will claw his way out of his slump. I went 7-1 too, surprisingly. I don't think I'm going to do as well next round because I'm going to try and will New York to beat Buffalo.

 
At 4:20 PM, April 24, 2007, Blogger James Mirtle said...

I'm afraid Filppula's two points wouldn't have helped me all that much... what I really need now is for J-S Giguere to pull a groin muscle or two.

 
At 4:39 PM, April 24, 2007, Blogger Doogie said...

I had Calgary, Anaheim, Vancouver, and Nashville, which stunningly leaves me at 2-2 for the West. (The East was dead easy -- I went 3-1 because I gave the Pens the benefit of the doubt.) If I had one that I'd have liked a mulligan on after Game 1, it'd have to be the Detroit-Calgary series. How did I not see that coming?

 
At 4:48 PM, April 24, 2007, Anonymous Jason Mandell said...

first time in my life i was 8 for 8 in round one. I had posted previously that picking both the Ducks AND Sharks to lose round one was not too bright. They are the best all around teams in the West...sure one could've been knocked off, but not both.

I expect to see them face each other in the finals; the flavor of their second half games against each other was such that you could see both teams knew they likely weren't going to win the cup without beating the other. if it happens, it has the makings of a classic matchup (think Thornton/Marleau vs. Pronger/Niedermayer).

The Canucks won't be able to stop the Ducks no matter how well Luongo plays; on the other hand, the Sharks face a very difficult challenge with the Wings.

check out the battle of california blog for more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker