Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Round 2 predictions

Prompted by Tim Wharnsby's picks at Globe on Hockey, I've posted my own — in short form anyway. I may have more to add for tomorrow.

Bring on the hate mail from my homeland.


At 7:03 PM, April 24, 2007, Anonymous Jeff said...

I'm excited to see your pick in the Canucks/Ducks series. Given your record last round, I can at least breath easy that I'll get to use my Game 5 tickets. :)

At 7:07 PM, April 24, 2007, Blogger James Mirtle said...

I've been underestimating Vancouver all season, so that's a fair comment.

It's tough to pick any series to end in four games given how rare sweeps are, but since when have I been afraid to go out on a limb? (See: Wild, Minnesota)

At 8:48 PM, April 24, 2007, Blogger Nick said...

I thought Vancouver would go far, but after watching them barely beat Dallas, I doubt they'll be able to take the Ducks

At 9:28 PM, April 24, 2007, Blogger Bal said...

dont worry about linden vs. pronger. A bigger concern is for the ducks to try to stay out of the box against vancouver. I really think the 5 game powerplay blip was just that, a blip. I think anaheim is going to get into penalty trouble early in this series and guys like the aforementioned Linden will make them pay for it. Go canucks Go!

At 10:36 PM, April 24, 2007, Blogger Doogie said...

Detroit, Anaheim, Buffalo, Ottawa

I want to pick the upset so badly in Buffalo/New York, but I just can't do it. Does that make me weak?

At 10:52 PM, April 24, 2007, Blogger James Mirtle said...

The Rangers record the past 20 or so games is just unbelievable. Heck, the team's record since acquiring Sean Avery is almost as good (something like 20-6-6, I think).

That series will be a lot closer than the pickems indicate.

At 11:26 PM, April 24, 2007, Blogger mc79hockey said...

Good point James. Remember how good the Oilers record was in their last 20 games last year? Or even Carolina's IIRC. ;)

At 12:19 AM, April 25, 2007, Blogger James Mirtle said...

Who are you again?

I think what I'm saying isn't 'they're going to the finals' but merely 'they're better than their record indicates.'

But potshots are funner.

At 12:47 AM, April 25, 2007, Blogger mc79hockey said...

Ah...well, I'm always willing to listen to a "they're better than their record indicates" argument (see Oilers, 2005-06 and my vigorous arguments that they were better than their record). I guess I was thrown off by "The Rangers record the past 20 or so games is just unbelievable." Kind of makes it seem that you like 'em because they're hot and not because you think that they're better than their record. Of course, we've been down that road before, you and I.

Oh well. Fischler is picking them to win the series in five - you're not quite that insane. I've got Sabres in five, Sens in six (only because NJ has home ice), Sharks in six and Ducks in five. Honestly, the only one of those series where I think that the clear favourite isn't glaringly obvious is the SJ-DET series, which wouldn't surprise me if it went the other way.

At 12:52 AM, April 25, 2007, Blogger mc79hockey said...

I should have said "You're not insane", given that you only complimented the Rangers and weren't picking them to kick the shit out of the Sabres or anything.

At 1:45 PM, April 25, 2007, Blogger Girly said...

You picked the Wild to beat the Ducks and now the Ducks to sweep the Canucks? The Ducks couldn't have improved that much in 1 week!


Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker