Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Perezhogin goes home

Alexander Perezhogin is headed back to Russia.

There were reports last week Perezhogin had signed with Avangard Omsk, but agent Don Meehan said last night the forward has signed a contract with Salavat Yulayev Ufa, another Russian Super League team.

Meehan said that Perezhogin will net $1.7 million U.S.
Perezhogin is most known for a year-long AHL suspension he received for chopping Garret Stafford in the face in 2004, but the 23-year-old Kazakh actually had quite a strong season in Montreal — especially defensively — and will be missed on the team's checking lines.

Still, that's big money to get from the Russian league, and with no transfer agreement in place between the two sides, I expect the fight for players to continue between the North American and Russian pro leagues.



At 2:07 PM, May 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was an article published during the season by a Russian news site that outlined how unhappy Perezhogin was in Montreal compared to playing in Russia. He felt that he wasn't being used properly by Carbonneau.
That being said, the Habs couldn't give him $1.7 million when they have contracts to negotiate with Ryder, Higgins and Plekanec this year not to mention the whole situation with Markov and Souray.

At 2:13 PM, May 08, 2007, Anonymous Dennis Prouse said...

Sorry to go Don Cherry here, but when I look at the role this guy played, I am hard pressed to think of why a North American born player couldn't fill it just as well. I'm sure that Hab fans will wring their hands, but losing a role player like Perezhogin is similar to what happened to the Canucks when Chubarov went back to Russia. Sure, Chubarov was a handy guy to have around, but fourth line checkers do not make or break your team, and are always available in free agency or via trade should you need one.

At 3:13 PM, May 08, 2007, Blogger El Brucio said...

Perezhogin might have been a role player this year, but that's because he was mishandled. He was the heir apparent to the 2nd line LW spot when Bulis left, but then Gainey signed Samsonov. Perezhogin got benched whenever he failed to battle like Mike Grier along the boards, or take a hooking penalty (even though I know Koivu took way more than him and never got called out for it). Simply put, he was miscast, and should've been a larger part of the team. When he played on an offensive line in his rookie year, he looked good, but Carbo didn't give him the chance, mainly because his linemates were doing very well. By the time the team fell apart, Carbo made him one of the scapegoats.

At 2:01 PM, May 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any GM who drafts a Russian in the upcoming draft should be fired immediately.

With the Russian League now paying big money - and virtually tax free - NHL clubs can no longer provide competitve salaries for second, third and fourth liners.And Russian players will no longer spend a couple of years in the AHL at 70K per year to develop their game (AND LEARN SOMETHING CALLED DEFENSE).

The Canucks have wasted several draft picks in recent years on Russians who now refuse to come over to North America because the NHL salaries are no longer competitve under the cap and the players refuse to sign two way NHL/AHL contracts.

And even if the Russian is a first liner, there is more than a 50% chance the Russian will turn out to be either a "prima donna" who needs to have his "hand held" on a daily basis, or who decides to play to his potential only periodically, when he feels like it (Zerdev, Samsonov, Kovalev etc.).

Also, Russians seem to be genetically "hard wired" to stop playing hockey at the beginning of April (playoffs? what are playoffs? eg. Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, etc.)

Now the Russians have refused to sign a transfer agreement. I say good riddance to them.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker