Thursday, June 07, 2007

Selanne's celebration

There's a nice piece in the Orange County Register today on Teemu Selanne:
Selanne, standing on the bench and taking in all the noise and color and deliverance, found himself overcome.

"I got so emotional, I even cried a little bit," he said later, standing in the hallway, still in his uniform. "The last couple of minutes, I didn't even want to go out there."
"I'd gotten to know him when I was working for the NHL, and I would talk to him at All-Star Games and other functions," Burke said. "I loved him. But he had only scored those 16 goals the year before. This is just a measure of how committed he is."
It's always terrific to see these long-time NHLers get their hands for the first time on a championship, and for Selanne to do it in Anaheim was certainly fitting.
"There are big decisions coming," Selanne said, "but right now it's time to party."

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, June 07, 2007, Blogger Jeremy said...

I was growing up in Winnipeg when he broke in with his astonishing rookie season (76 goals?!) -- I think most old Jets fans have followed his career with interest since then. It was pretty cool to see Selanne lifting the cup last night, looking so genuinely happy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker