Thursday, July 12, 2007

Souray signs with the Oilers

I haven't yet seen the terms, but I imagine they're substantial, and Edmonton was one of the few teams seeking a defenceman that has considerable cap space to burn.

So much for the small-market malaise? Well, we'll see. Souray certainly wasn't the Oilers' first pick (or they his), but he's from the area (the tiny burgh of Elk Point) and will fit well with Joni Pitkanen on the power play.

UPDATE RDS is reporting this as a five-year, $27-million deal, which seems reasonable given what some were prognosticating the big blueliner would get this off-season. Souray turns 31 tomorrow, and should be able to contribute at least a few more seasons.

UPDATE Leave it to the Oilers wing of the blogosphere to bring the entertainment. Covered in Oil's only thought: "He's divorced, right?"

And here's Andy (Grabby) Grabia at The Battle of Alberta: "Are any of his relatives part-owners?"

UPDATE Here's the team's press release, with some words from Souray. I was listening in a little to his press conference this afternoon, and you get the sense his family is the most excited party here.

Souray played junior hockey as a youngster with Tri-City, which is an awful long way from home, and as a pro, hasn't ever played anywhere close to Alberta.

Souray image courtesy PlayoffBeard.com

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, July 12, 2007, Blogger saskhab said...

The Oil used to sometimes run a 5 forward PP unit. Now, will they switch to a 3 defence PP unit? 3 of their best PP options are Souray, Pitkanen and Tarnstrom (along with Hemsky). Just get Stoll to take draws and you've got an impressive PP unit... with 3 blueliners.

 
At 5:11 PM, July 12, 2007, Blogger Andy Grabia said...

Souray certainly wasn't the Oilers' first pick (or they his),

Do you write that about every signing, because it's probably true in most instances.

 
At 5:15 PM, July 12, 2007, Blogger James Mirtle said...

My Grabby, you've been especially cantankerous lately. Troubles at home?

 
At 5:15 PM, July 12, 2007, Blogger Paul said...

Funny. I was just thinking earlier today that Lowe should throw something like a $9 million, 1 year deal at Souray. It gives him his money, and a chance to land that LA gig next summer he apparently wants. Blake's on their books for one more year at $6 million...

 
At 5:27 PM, July 12, 2007, Blogger Andy Grabia said...

My Grabby, you've been especially cantankerous lately.

As you know, I'm tired of this non-story.

 
At 8:03 PM, July 12, 2007, Blogger Michael said...

"I'm heading home to Alberta and I can't wait to step onto the ice at Rexall Place... I'm looking forward to playing in Edmonton for a great organization and believe me, I know how good the fans in Edmonton are."After reading some of the quotes in the front page of the NHL Network, I get the feeling that Souray is willing to fill the "hometown boy" void left by Smyth.

 
At 8:55 PM, July 12, 2007, Blogger James Mirtle said...

As you know, I'm tired of this non-story.

You're off your rocker; all I said was that Souray wasn't the Oilers first choice (and vice versa), which is especially true given all of the Souray to San Jose/L.A./Montreal/New Jersey/New York rumours we've heard.

Edmonton came out of nowhere on this one.

 
At 9:49 PM, July 12, 2007, Blogger Art Vandelay said...

For one season, anyway, there are no job vacancies for offensive defenceman in California. SJ had their quota, ANA replaced theirs, and LA signed the rest. Once Blake retires or Schneider runs out of gas, that's a different story. I wouldn't be buying any Souray Oilers jersey unless the number and name plate are velcro'd on.

 
At 10:10 PM, July 12, 2007, Blogger James Mirtle said...

I wouldn't be buying any Souray Oilers jersey unless the number and name plate are velcro'd on.

That's the way they come now in Edmonton.

 
At 12:33 AM, July 13, 2007, Blogger Andy Grabia said...

That's the way they come now in Edmonton.

Ya, I'm off my rocker. You aren't beating a dead horse at all.

 
At 12:37 AM, July 13, 2007, Blogger James Mirtle said...

I can't believe Souray went to Edmonton. Un-be-lievable. Why would anyone live in Siberia?

 
At 1:19 AM, July 13, 2007, Blogger mc79hockey said...

Well this blows. I just bought my 44 Pitkanen jersey. I was already more than a little cheesed off when Pronger came an I had to get my 44 Pronger jersey - I already had the Schremp version.

Calisse.

 
At 5:08 AM, July 13, 2007, Blogger Colby Cosh said...

Grabia's nickname should really be Spud or something. Let's see if we can improve on that "hockey nickname" Mirtle's using.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker