Thursday, September 20, 2007

Blog Box reveals 12 Box bloggers

The NYI BLOG BOX, presented by, is up and running.

By clicking here, you will meet the 12 chosen charter bloggers and get the first look at their Islanders blogs. You will also be part of history, as a major professional sports team is opening up a separate press facility and their website on a grand scale to bloggers for the first time ever.
I'm afraid I'll have to admit I haven't heard of any of these "historic" bloggers, but this should make for quite the interesting experiment. Again, good on the Islanders for trying to drum up some coverage.

I'm absolutely amazed at how many hockey blogs there are out there now; when I started during the lockout, it was a small, merry band of hardcores — most of whom are still going strong.

Now, we've got a situation where there are more and more mainstream media heavyweights beginning to start some form of "blog," and the Isles even have their public relations staff in on the act (here and here).

More coverage is, I think, a good thing for fans, but it does make you wonder where it will all end.



At 10:15 PM, September 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah, with the end of newspapers.
With all due respect.

At 10:29 PM, September 20, 2007, Blogger Andy Grabia said...

Were any of these blogs in existence before this offer came along?

At 12:08 AM, September 21, 2007, Blogger The Forechecker said...

It's also telling that some of the more prominent Isles bloggers didn't jump at this opportunity. Because really, regular press box access doesn't necessarily add anything useful to an NHL blogger. What's interesting is fresh insight and perspective, not another set of drab post-game quotes that we could get from the standard game report.

At 5:47 AM, September 21, 2007, Anonymous Baroque said...

I don't look to blogs for the standard game reports, which I can get from a paper or other news site. I like the additional insight, humor, and periodic goofy photoshop or silly nickname. Some of the bloggers I read aren't even in the same city as the team they blog about, and I don't see anything lacking in their posts because of that.

At 9:29 AM, September 21, 2007, Blogger Vic Ferrari said...

I recognize a couple of the names from the Isles message boards. Liodice is an amateur writer trying to break in by covering the AHL affiliate in nearby Bridgeport. He's one of these unpaid propsects writers at the hockey's future website. B.D Gallof is your standard issue messageboard blowhard and pretend-insider. I'd guess that the rest are just in it for the free tix.

Looks like they are using these guys to try and generate a bit more publicity. For the stretch run and playoffs last season, Newsday beat writer Greg Logan's blog was more widely read than any other journalist blog in the NY media iirc. I'm sure that didn't go unnoticed.

Looks like a "you write good stuff about us ... we'll give you free tickets!" arrangement, which is fair enough I suppose. They recognize that newspaper coverage is waning and message board, blog and independent hockey site readership is on the rise.

PR Boss Chris Botta used to go onto messageboards and natter with fans into the wee hours, for crissakes. (The kids at HF have turned on him now btw, they've nicknamed him Tariq :D )

Intersting org, the Isles. It's a shame that they are so creepy with it, that's all.

At 10:04 AM, September 21, 2007, Anonymous oiler said...

vic, one of the bloggers is a personal friend of mine and i don't get the impression from him at all of 'Looks like a "you write good stuff about us ... we'll give you free tickets!" arrangement, which is fair enough I suppose.'

I think its obviously a responsibility of the individual, but team bloggers in general, whether they be officially sponsored or not, do their work because they are first and foremost passionate about the club.

So to think that these guys will be any more acquiescent to the NYI just because they are getting more access is off. If anything, I'm optimistic that the access granted will only enhance the overview these guys can provide.

At 10:54 AM, September 21, 2007, Anonymous BDH said...

Wait, it's sponsored by hockeybuzz? I can see the blogging excellence already:

"I just heard from multiple reliable sources that hot dogs will be available in the blog box after the 2nd period (e4)"

At 12:04 PM, September 21, 2007, Blogger mike w said...

"I just heard from multiple reliable sources that hot dogs will be available in the blog box after the 2nd period (e4)"

he he!

At 12:31 PM, September 21, 2007, Blogger James Mirtle said...

Any news on free pretzels?

At 4:30 PM, September 21, 2007, Anonymous BDH said...

"I continue to be told by no one remotely involved in the snack bar menu that there will be no pretzels for this game (e2)"

But serisously y'all, I think it's cool the Islanders are embracing the blogos. As others have noted, I'm not sure what game access adds aside from some "Hey I got to go to a game" type posts of short-lived appeal, but I do think that teams that embrace blogs and other evolving media outlets will be ahead of the curve and building serious goodwill with fans.

At 10:53 AM, September 24, 2007, Anonymous Mike S said...

As one of these bloggers you guys are up in the air about, I just wanted to say you don't get free tickets to the game - I am already a season ticket holder.

You are just being granted different access to the team as far as I know.


At 12:36 PM, September 24, 2007, Blogger James Mirtle said...

Mike — I don't think anyone's "up in the air" here, not really. It seems like a mostly positive step, even if I would rather see bloggers be granted actual press box access like what the Capitals have done.

I'll be interested to see how this works this season.

At 10:31 PM, September 25, 2007, Blogger Michael said...


No big deal. I don't really know what the Caps are doing - but how would they provide traditional media access and not annoy the PHWA?

I am also interested to see what happens, because there really hasn't been too much info yet.


At 10:40 PM, September 25, 2007, Blogger James Mirtle said...

Aside from physical space in the press box, I'm not sure what issues the PHWA would have. The team determines who it credentials, anyway, and it's not just writers' association members in there.

The system seems to work fine in D.C.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker