Robinson dies during game in Italy
Darcy Robinson, a Canadian playing for Asiago of the Italian hockey league, died during Thursday's season-opening game. He was 26.
The native of Kamloops, B.C., fell to the ice without being hit during the first period of a game with Renon and was rushed to a local hospital where he died, Asiago said. No cause of death was given. The game was suspended.
I didn't know him well, but he was an enormous guy, probably 6-foot-4 and somewhere in the neighbourhood of 240 pounds. We played a few games on the same rugby team in my senior year.
I know this is news that will shock quite a few friends back home, for obvious reasons. A tragic story, and my condolences to his family.
I'll continue to have updates as more information comes:
- Bill Meltzer says sudden cardiac arrest is suspected at this point.
- A Facebook group has been setup in memory of Darcy.
- The Saskatoon StarPhoenix has a story.
- The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins put up this tribute to Darcy.
- The video below is from a series called 'Chasing the Dream':
Labels: Darcy Robinson