Thursday, September 27, 2007

Robinson dies during game in Italy


Darcy Robinson, a Canadian playing for Asiago of the Italian hockey league, died during Thursday's season-opening game. He was 26.

The native of Kamloops, B.C., fell to the ice without being hit during the first period of a game with Renon and was rushed to a local hospital where he died, Asiago said. No cause of death was given. The game was suspended.
Darcy was a bit younger than I am, but he went to my high school before he left for junior in Saskatoon and was always involved in athletics at a high level.

I didn't know him well, but he was an enormous guy, probably 6-foot-4 and somewhere in the neighbourhood of 240 pounds. We played a few games on the same rugby team in my senior year.

I know this is news that will shock quite a few friends back home, for obvious reasons. A tragic story, and my condolences to his family.

I'll continue to have updates as more information comes:

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, September 27, 2007, Blogger Menzies said...

I know this isn't an 'injury' as such, I mean, it's a tragedy, but I can't help but notice the absolute wrath of injuries this year.

I really can't remember a three week span of preseason where, from groin tears to the Boyle incident, such a large amount of casulties has occured.

Sorry about your guy Mirtle. Even when your far removed from someone it still has the ability to slow everything down.

 
At 8:01 AM, September 28, 2007, Blogger Hooks Orpik said...

Darcy Robinson will be remembered by Pens fans as a happy guy, a goofy guy, and a good guy. Sorry to see him pass away, but atleast he was out there doing something he loved.

 
At 11:23 AM, September 28, 2007, Blogger saskhab said...

Here's an article from the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix on Robinson.

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/features/blades/story.html?id=c39fc4bd-1612-4064-873c-7f64283826c3&k=96814

I didn't get out to many Blades games when he was in town, but by all indications he was a hard-working, very affable young man. The above article includes comments from Saskatoon boy Colby Armstrong, who was teammates of his in both Red Deer and Wilkes-Barre.

Also of note, that trade that sent him to Red Deer also saw Nashville forward Martin Erat go with him, and former Thrashers goalie Michael Garnett came the other way to Saskatoon.

 
At 12:08 PM, September 28, 2007, Anonymous Matt Gunn said...

Wow, this is crazy. I played against Darcy all through minor hockey.

As a goalie, I still remember being terrified of his point shots. He had to be 6'4'' when we were in Pee Wee (13-14 years old).

This is incredibly sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker