Thursday, November 01, 2007

Congrats: Eric and Lyle

Hearty congratulations are in order for Eric McErlain and Lyle Richardson, who continue to blur the line between 'blogger in the basement' and 'sportswriter' as both have begun high-profile writing gigs this week.

Eric, of Off Wing Opinion, is signed on as a freelance contributer with the Sporting News, while Lyle's going to be a weekly columnist on The Hockey News' new web creation. Both well-deserved.

It was about three years ago now that I jumped into hockey blogging, and almost immediately, Eric was one of a handful of readers. (It was really a 'hi Mom!' sort of endeavour for at least six months.) This site would not have gotten off the ground without he, and the other veterans, throwing me a link once in a while.

And Lyle, well, he's a juggernaut as it pertains to online hockey writing. Spector's Hockey already competes with mainstream media corporations' offerings despite the fact it's a one-man show, a guy in the basement churning out hockey tidbits from Prince Edward Island.

I keep in touch with both regularly, and they're really terrific, approachable guys. This is a hobby, not a job, for them, but a hobby that they pursue with professionalism and vigour — and the 'net is richer for their contributions.

How they keep up their day jobs, we'll never know.

Good luck guys — and if you ever need a hand, I'm available.

7 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, November 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact, Spector retired from his job in order to be able to work full-time on hockey writing.

It is wonderful that he was able to get a living out of his hobby.

 
At 6:35 PM, November 01, 2007, Anonymous Lyle Richardson said...

Yep, it started out as a hobby almost ten years ago, and became a full-time vocation in the spring of 2006. To be fair to James, I was still plugging away at my site whilst doing my old day job in the Canadian Forces when we first corresponded during the dark days of the lockout.

Thanks for the kind words of support, James, it's been a helluva ride so far and I'm hoping it doesn't stop for a long time. I couldn't have done it without the support of hockey bloggers like James and of course from everyone who checks out my site. All of you have made my dream come true.

Finally, congrats to Eric McErlain on his new Sporting News gig. He's one of the best.

Oh, and I may work out of a basement but it's my own and not my parents, I never work wearing only underwear, PJs or sweat clothes, I'm happily married and I do actually have a life. Just wanted you all to know that I don't fit the supposed stereotype of the "basement blogger".

 
At 6:41 PM, November 01, 2007, Blogger Richard Pollock said...

Congrats to Spector that is great news. His site has been the best rumor site in any sport for years now. Keep up the good work!

P.S- We need you to get rss feed capabilities!

 
At 4:16 AM, November 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Spector are the best as far as I'm concerned. My first two stops for great knowledge and insight.

Congrats Spector. I also love your visits to the FOHS and never miss it. I really enjoy your on air personality; you're very entertaining. You truly are a "bag of fun" :-)

 
At 9:14 AM, November 02, 2007, Blogger FAUX RUMORS said...

1) We concur with all the lauds doled out here. Both sites (as well as this one) are 'must reads' for hockey fans, and definitely for us amateur hockey bloggers!
2) We can recall reading your and their sites during the lockout to get news and unique insight into the labour mess.
3) If anyone out there haven't yet book marked these sites, we urge you to do so now!

 
At 4:24 PM, November 02, 2007, Anonymous chelischalkoutlines said...

Congrats to Eric and Lyle? The Menendez brothers? (C'mon THAT was funny...)

True "must reads" for the hockey junkie in all of us.

 
At 12:23 AM, November 03, 2007, Blogger Scotty Hockey said...

As Faux said, all three of you guys do great work and set a great example for amateurs like us. Sincerest congrats to Eric and Spector, best wishes on your new gigs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker