Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The hit on Lidstrom


Ian Laperriere's elbow does sneak up there into Nick Lidstrom's chin a bit.

And while this one's so far been reported as a knee sprain, it looks as though the Red Wings captain had his brain a bit scrambled there.

Lidstrom says he doesn't have a concussion, but that the knee is sore:
“I have a pretty good mark on my chin where he hit me,” said Lidstrom, a five-time Norris Trophy winner. “Whether he tried to or not, I don't know, but he followed through and finished with his elbow up on my chin and that's when my head went back into the glass.”

“I don't have a headache or anything,” Lidstrom said.

“The knee feels sore and a little bit swollen,” Lidstrom told DetroitRedWings.com. “I'll have an MRI in the morning.”
We'll know tomorrow morning the extent of the injury, but a sprain shouldn't keep him out more than two weeks.
.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, February 19, 2008, Blogger Nick said...

Wings fans everywhere had a collective flashback of Yzerman getting up after catching a puck to the face. Not pretty to watch.

If it's true and he just got his bell rung with no lasting repercussions, thank god

 
At 3:14 PM, February 19, 2008, Anonymous IwoCPO said...

Yeah, the elbow got up there. But I don't have a real problem with Laperriere's hit, especially considering his comments regarding Downey afterward (essentially he said he respected Downey for doing his job).

It was borderline and it was handled, as it should have been.

However, if Lidstrom's diagnosis tomorrow turns out to be worse, my tune will change and I'll be calling for a suspension. That's just how I roll James.

 
At 3:53 PM, February 19, 2008, Blogger Fauxrumors said...

My poor Liddy. Let me kiss it better for you. That and a lot more!

 
At 3:53 PM, February 19, 2008, Blogger Dear Lord Stanley said...

Sounds to me like Lidstrom is suffering from a broken vagina.

Seriously, though, I think it's important to note that Lappy didn't lead with his elbow Pronger-style, and that he pushed Lidstrom with his forearm after making contact. The elbow was up, but it wasn't the first thing that hit Lidstrom.

The refs recognized that and so did the league.

But hey, I hope Lidstrom suffers no lasting damage and is back on the ice soon. He's a class act---rare for the team he's on.

 
At 4:36 PM, February 19, 2008, Blogger FAUX RUMORS said...

1) It appears we have an imitator. Guess mimickry is a form of flattery.
2) Anyway, while we're happy to see the rivalry apparently renewed, we hope Nicklas is back soon!

 
At 7:56 PM, February 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like a classic KO where the victim falls back awkwardly on his knee. It can result in some serious ligament damage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker