Monday, May 12, 2008

AHL Game 7
Syracuse @ Toronto

There's a ridiculous amount of good hockey being played these days.

Today's lineup, for instance:
World championships in Halifax/Quebec
NHL conference finals, Game 3, Detroit at Dallas
OHL final, Game 7, Belleville at Kitchener
AHL second round, Game 7, Syracuse at Toronto

It's not every day there's a Game 7 in your backyard, so I'm heading over to Ricoh Coliseum here in a few hours to see the Crunch take on the Marlies (Blue Jackets affiliate v. Maple Leafs affiliate).

I'm afraid I'm not that well-versed in the lineups here, but I have heard about Syracuse's 5-foot-8 netminder Karl Goehring, who's had a good playoffs with a .922 save percentage.

Marlies roster
Crunch roster

Players to watch are mostly on the Syracuse side, with future NHLers like Derick Brassard, Joakim Lindstrom and Clay Wilson chipping in. Both teams are pretty heavy on AHL veterans.

If you're in Toronto, this is the only playoff hockey in town and might be worth getting out to see. If you've got Leafs TV and feel like tuning it in, it's there, too.

UPDATE Finally a good turnout for an AHL game I've gone to in this city, with 4,753 announced as being in the seats, and the team won a tight 3-2 game over a pretty talented Syracuse squad.

There was quite a good media contingent out for this one, most of whom were sitting in the seats. And Scott Clemmensen and another unidentified Marlie were sitting behind us at a restaurant afterwards.

Up next, either Rockford or Chicago, depending on what happens in Game 7 in that one.
.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, May 12, 2008, Blogger nu said...

Oooh, oooh, I'm going to the game!!

Where can I make fun of you? ;)

(The sad thing is, there will probably be about 2000 people there, unless the fame of your blog attracts a few more.)

 
At 6:04 PM, May 12, 2008, Blogger Blitzen said...

I've heard about the low attendance. the GTA has, what, a few million people, the Leaf's farm team is playing playoff hockey and the Leaf's aren't and they can't fill rink with fans?

That's sad.

 
At 6:10 PM, May 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's more than sad. It's a joke. And they say Toronto is a hockey town. I'm a Vancouver fan living in Kingston and I made the two hour drive to Syracuse to watch Vancouver's farm team (Manitoba) play , and was happy to do so.

Perhaps the Toronto market is spoiled by the awesome spectacle that is the Leafs.

 
At 6:19 PM, May 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't they charge ridiculous prices for the Marlies though?

 
At 6:36 PM, May 12, 2008, Anonymous Jamie said...

The Aud in Kitchener is the only place to be tonight. But good luck finding a ticket.

You get the drama of a championship series going to game seven. Plus an added element of tension: the home team has blown a 3-0 series lead.

 
At 6:38 PM, May 12, 2008, Blogger nu said...

if you consider $10/18 a ticket ridiculous....

they HAVE had closer-to-capacity crowds but I think the weather/daylight this time of year also factors in...

and I could be completely wrong about the estimate.

hey, I think it's awesome being able to actually go to a professional hockey game in Toronto. the time of year is just a bonus.

I'm off to stalk James!

 
At 6:42 PM, May 12, 2008, Anonymous PJ said...

Horseshit comments like the previous ones, born out of the knee-jerk Toronto hatred are what make me sad.

You want to know why the Marlies have poor attendance? Because the tickets are very expensive by AHL standards, and the arena is inaccessible, with meagre and expensive (there's that word again, MLSE) parking, and really difficult to get to.

But no, it's not that. Toronto sucks. Clearly a bunch of idiots who aren't 'real' fans and all just want to eat sushi with Richard Peddie and buy condos. All four million of them.

I'm surprised this city's even allowed to exist!

 
At 7:21 PM, May 12, 2008, Blogger Bethany said...

Don't forget that Zenon Konopka has promised victory.

"I'll play better on Monday. I'll score tomorrow,'' he said. "We'll win tomorrow. There's no way I'll let us lose to these guys.''

http://blog.syracuse.com/crunch/2008/05/z_calls_his_shot.html

 
At 7:29 PM, May 12, 2008, Anonymous desdemona said...

Hard to get to? Not in the least! Directions via car, GO Transit or TTC

Thanks for painting us all with that brush PJ. I wish I could be there right now (plus I'd love to meet Mr. Mirtle), but outside circumstances prevent me. The games that I went to during the regular season were record breaking attendance. I realize that others weren't, but that doesn't make us all sushi... whatever you said. Not to mention, the Toronto media doesn't give this team enough attention.

Though I live in Toronto and it's extremely easy to get to, I do think that the Marlies would do better in an outskirt region. Not too far, but not in competition with the theatre, film festivals, local sports, and other interesting stuff that goes on here. Weren't they once in Newmarket and doing well?

 
At 11:13 PM, May 12, 2008, Blogger nu said...

LET'S - GO - MARLIES!!! *clapclapclapclapclap*

(sorry, Bethany; send my apologies to Konopka, but they win every time I go)

Well, that was fun; the ticket was $24 (I don't know if that's terrible for the AHL or not, but I think it's pretty good for pro hockey...); there was an enormous lineup at the door; the official site says the attendance was 4753, and I didn't have to watch them all get their hearts broken.

The good Dr. Mirtle was not to be found. Unless he took the subway home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker