Friday, May 09, 2008

Geno shines

Eastern Conference final
(2) Pittsburgh v. (6) Philadelphia
Penguins lead series 1-0
"It was really last second decision. All my penalty shots wasn't that great all the time, pretty much. So in the last second I just decided to shoot that puck as hard as I can. I didn't think about it, where to shoot, and to make any moves. Just as hard as I can."
— Evgeni Malkin
Malkin's a beast. Two goals, including the game winner and the nail in the coffin while shorthanded (a slapper from eight feet in front of Marty Biron), one assist, plus-3, a big hit on Braydon Coburn...

I'm not sure what the strategy is to counteract what he brought tonight, but I wish the Flyers luck.
Q. Sid, you ever seen anyone take a "Slap Shot" from that close in on a breakaway before?
SIDNEY CROSBY: No.

Q. What were your thoughts?
SIDNEY CROSBY: Hey, it worked.
Penguins coach Michel Therrien gets the last word:
COACH THERRIEN: Yeah, you know what, he's fearless.
It looked that way tonight.

UPDATE Wyshynski!'s got Malkin at the top of his Conn Smythe watch, which is hard to argue with given he's got a lead in the scoring race after only 10 games.
.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, May 09, 2008, Blogger Old said...

The Flyers do not have an answer for Malkin, especially with Timmonen out.

 
At 12:13 AM, May 10, 2008, Blogger Joe said...

Gary Roberts did it on a penalty shot a few years back.

I was watching the game with my dad, and Roberts got the opportunity to take a penalty shot. He walked in to the slot, stopped, and just took a big slap shot, that completely missed the net. My dad and I were both like "well what the hell did he do that for?"

 
At 7:22 AM, May 10, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean there is a chance that a name other than Crosby gets mentioned in the pregame?

 
At 11:59 AM, May 10, 2008, Blogger BeN said...

Brian Rolston scored a couple of goal that way. That's pretty cool because the goaler don't what to do on this situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker