Sunday, May 11, 2008

Red Wings keep rolling

Western Conference final
(1) Detroit v. (5) Dallas
Red Wings lead series 2-0
Osgood, he's having a tea party back there ... They could have played five more periods and they wouldn't have been tired.
— Don Cherry
Was Detroit effective in this game? No doubt.

Entertaining? That's more debatable.

Dallas just hasn't brought much to the table in this matchup. Detroit outshot the Stars nearly 2-1 (34-18) and the margin in faceoffs was even more lopsided (39-16). At no time watching this one did the outcome seem in doubt, and that speaks volumes as to where the series is headed.

I'd be shocked if the Stars prolong it past five games. The Red Wings should be able to easily cruise into the finals, playing much as they've done since Chris Osgood came in relief of Dom Hasek after the fourth game of the first round against Nashville.

There's been little adversity, and that doesn't appear to be soon to change.

Some postgame quotes, including a few that talk about the stick swing Mike Ribeiro took at Osgood at the end of the game:
Q. Can you just talk about the fact that you're two games away from the Stanley Cup Finals?
COACH MIKE BABCOCK: I don't look at it like that. My own mind, as just about five minutes after I get home tonight I'll start getting scared about Game 3. And I've been coaching a long time. I've seen it go the wrong way too often. And I'm a big believer in our team and how hard we work.

But we were here, like I said, last year and it didn't work out. And you spend your whole life, if you're in hockey, trying to win that thing. And so you just want to do everything you can to get the opportunity.
Q. Chris, after that cheap shot from Ribeiro, you seemed like you were hurt for a little while there. Are you all right physically now?

CHRIS OSGOOD: Yeah, got me across the back and in the ribs kind of. I seen so many sticks, I kind of turned a little bit. I do have a lot of padding up there but it got me in the side where I didn't have much. It did hurt a bit. It was kind of a full swing right to the side.

But I'll be fine, I'm sure. A little sore but I'll be fine.
NICKLAS LIDSTROM: I think he should be suspended, to do something like that after the game is over. He two-handed our goalie right in the chest. You can't do that.
Not much else of interest in the postgame pressers. Dave Tippett looked very, very frustrated up at the mike and only took one question before leaving.

One last tidbit: I'm not surprised in the least that Darren Helm made an impact in this game. He only played eight minutes, but picked up the first goal. I had a chance to see Helm first-hand at the Memorial Cup last year in Vancouver, when his Medicine Hat team lost in the finals, and he was one of the few players that showed up to play in that game.

(I felt horrible asking him some silly question in the postgame presser as he and his teammates were lined up, on the verge of tears, but he was a pro answering everything. He was very excited about the prospect of sticking with the Wings in the fall, something that didn't come to fruition, but don't be surprised to see him as a full-timer next year at only 21.)

Helm's quick, terrific defensively and can shoot the puck. Another late-round steal for Detroit who we'll be seeing make an impact in the NHL postseason in a big way in the future. At the very least, he has the potential to be Kris Draper's replacement on the Wings as a top-notch shutdown performer.
.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, May 11, 2008, Blogger mike said...

Ribeiro took a butt-end from Osgood in the face as he skated past the net....let's not forget to mention that in terms of his freakout immediately thereafter.

 
At 7:37 AM, May 11, 2008, Anonymous baroque said...

Halm has certainly won over the fans I know with his effort and speed, that's for sure.

He has to be having a ball playing in the playoffs.

Ribeiro took a butt-end from Osgood in the face as he skated past the net.

It took a few replays before I saw that, but at least it could have been unintentional - Osgood was facing in a different direction and might not have seen exactly where he was. The whack to the chest was definitely on purpose.

I'm guessing the league looks at it and tells them both to be more careful, and tells Ribiero not to do something stupid like that again, and that will probably be the end of it.

 
At 10:13 AM, May 11, 2008, Blogger J. Michael Neal said...

It looked to me as if Osgood intended to make some contact to impede Ribiero's progress, but didn't intend to hit him in the face. As for who started it, Ribiero was skating back behind the net after the horn as if he intended to hit Lidstrom. I think all parties bear some responsibility for what happened here.

I agree with Baroque that nothing more is going to happen on the suspension front. I suspect that Darren McCarty is going to be looking for Ribiero, though.

 
At 10:15 AM, May 11, 2008, Blogger J. Michael Neal said...

As for the game, I think the Wings stole one last night. Dallas had a bunch of good chances that they completely whiffed on. While the Wings overall played a bit better, they could easily have lost the game. Let's se what happens in Dallas.

 
At 10:34 AM, May 11, 2008, Anonymous Andy said...

Ribeiro the diver two handed a guy with his stick. Since Ozzy wasn't injured there likely won't be much of a look see on Campbell's playback box.

My displeasure at this kind of discipline is that it will never work as a deterrent. What if the blade of the stick had come across the neck and nicked the artery?Then it would be a different story. Ribeiro is the lowest form of hockey coward and routinely gets away with embarrassing hockey. (faking on the ice after knuble push) He has a lot of skill and doesn't need to do it.

It really disgusts me.

 
At 11:22 AM, May 11, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy, comeon now. I don't care what Ribeiro has done in the past (and I hate the Habs...), but give me a break. Osgood took a HUGE dive ... and probably the worst faked injury since Yarkko Rutuu ...

Both players looked like total morons out there.

If anything, Ribeiro will get one game and Osgood will win an Oscar.

 
At 11:42 AM, May 11, 2008, Anonymous John said...

osgood dropped like he was shot..

i was busy writing my condolences card to his wife..

"It did hurt a bit."

oh, i guess he'll survive.
.
dallas looked like they were constantly just about to get things started, but they never did.
Osgood was a big part of not letting them get any momentum.

 
At 11:46 AM, May 11, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Osgood told Ribs there isn't any cocaine available in Detroit so Mickey flipped out.
He's a gutless little puke that only looks good because Carbonneau's son in law has to fight all that coward's battles for him.
Gainey and Carbo probably wanted to puke every time they saw that big bag of shit on the ice with the Canadiens.
He's out of sight and mind in Dallas where he can play the remainder of his sorry assed career in well deserved obscurity
He'll be toiling in IOWA in two years.

 
At 12:29 PM, May 11, 2008, Blogger Matt said...

I don't think the transcript is quite right. I thought Osgood said that he saw Ribeiro starting to swing his stick, so he turned to reduce the effect of impact. I also thought Osgood said Ribeiro skated through Osgood's stick and that he did not intend to hit Ribeiro. I wonder if Osgood wanted to even the score for some of Turco's antics.

 
At 12:48 PM, May 11, 2008, Blogger Chase said...

chris osgood is a joke.

 
At 1:01 PM, May 11, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious as to how Osgood's body defies the laws of anatomy. How could a shot to someone's front have hit his back as he claims?

Regardless, a stupid play by both involved, though I do feel fortunate that I got to watch a movie at the end without even paying for it. Sadly though, Osgood's performance will likely win a Razzie before he'll get an Oscar.

 
At 1:35 PM, May 11, 2008, Blogger Adam C said...

That Osgood quote is a keeper. Ribeiro's slash clearly caught him in the chest. However, according to Osgood, it got him in the back, and the ribs a bit, and especially the side, yeah, the side, where there's no padding...

I think it hurt so bad he can't remember where it hit him.

 
At 3:14 PM, May 11, 2008, Blogger saskhab said...

It is ironic that Osgood "pulled a Ribeiro" after that slash.

 
At 4:38 PM, May 11, 2008, Anonymous baroque said...

My personal theory - Osgood hadn't felt much impact to his chest during the game, so the whack from the stick was completely unfamiliar to him and he thought for a minute he was having some kind of attack and collapsed in confusion. :)

I mean, 18 shots isn't very much, even for him.

 
At 7:15 PM, May 11, 2008, Anonymous desdemona said...

"Both players have been fined undisclosed amounts by the NHL."

TSN, 5/11/2008 6:46:02 PM

Fines, no suspensions. Sounds good to me.

 
At 11:00 AM, May 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I get someone to review my last couple of suspensions too? The guy I slashed also hit me prior to me whacking him and he didn't miss any ice time either. Why did I get the longest suspension ever? Not for slashing since that didn't count against Ribeiro, not for causing injury because Hollweg wasn't hurt either. Guess its just all my fault for being a fourth line native in the regular season - Chris Simon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker