Monday, June 09, 2008

Wilson takes Leafs coaching gig

"Within a week of my dismissal, I got a call from Cliff Fletcher, and he asked if I was interested. And of course I said yes.

"Cliff convinced me that I was the guy for the job. ... I was just glad I was going to be given this opportunity before anyone else and for me it was just a no-brainer."
Berger says Wilson will be introduced as coach at a news conference tomorrow.

It's really no surprise that Wilson was scooped up so fast, something I spoke to even before San Jose had pulled the plug. He's incredibly experienced, played for the Leafs (64 games between 1977-80) and has a track record of winning with underachieving teams.

The Sharks fired him for not getting them over the top, but that's not a worry in Toronto these days.

My main concern with Wilson in Toronto is that he's had a bit of reputation in dealing with the media, and even spoke out about the Canadian contingent recently, but Wilson indicated in the interview linked above that he's not worried about the pressure.

"I'm very, very excited and I can't wait to meet everyone over the next couple days."

Related
Prodigal Leaf returns, Toronto Star
.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, June 09, 2008, Blogger Down Goes Brown said...

"Berger says Wilson will be introduced as coach at a news conference tomorrow."

Well, that clinches it then. Berger would never be dead wrong in his reporting about the Wilson hire.

 
At 2:08 PM, June 09, 2008, Blogger James Mirtle said...

When his source is Wilson?

 
At 2:15 PM, June 09, 2008, Blogger saskhab said...

Hiring a coach to a 4 year, multi-million dollar gig is always a good way to attract the best GM candidates.

It is pretty clear that Fletcher is the GM for the full 18 months of his contract. Is that a good thing? Well, it's better than Ferguson, I suppose.

The Leafs need to re-stock their talent level first and foremost, and they need a GM to accomplish that. In the long run, I don't know how big of an impact Wilson will actually have, other than the Leafs being more likely to qualify for the playoffs under him than under Maurice.

 
At 2:45 PM, June 09, 2008, Anonymous PPP said...

In the long run, I don't know how big of an impact Wilson will actually have, other than the Leafs being more likely to qualify for the playoffs under him than under Maurice.

Considering that the Leafs have a pretty large contingent of young guys (not counting the incoming class) Wilson, if he lives up to the reputation he's built of developing players, will have a pretty big impact on the Leafs.

As for the contract, it's a moot point because Burke will be happy ;)

 
At 3:01 PM, June 09, 2008, Blogger Down Goes Brown said...

When his source is Wilson?

His success rate with that family has been pretty dismal lately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker