Friday, July 11, 2008

Feaster ousted

Well, that didn't take long. Lightning GM Jay Feaster resigned, owner Len Barrie said Friday with additional confirmation by vice president of hockey operations Brian Lawton.

"Yes," Barrie said, "we came to an agreement."
Not a surprise. Really, the only wonder here is why the incoming ownership group let Feaster hang on as long as they did.

This move is getting a mixed reaction from fans in Tampa Bay, many of whom were frustrated with the team's sharp drop into the basement under the former GM. Feaster and his hockey operations department made error after error coming out of the lockout, but in the run up to the 2004 Cup win, he was right on the ball in acquiring players like Ruslan Fedotenko and Cory Stillman.

Given his sharp business acumen, Feaster shouldn't have a problem catching on elsewhere. It's possible that he's better suited to an assistant GM's role anyway.

UPDATE “For the past two weeks I have watched from the sidelines as Brian Lawton, Len Barrie and Oren Koules executed to perfection the game-plan they shared with us prior to the NHL Draft in Ottawa. During that time it became apparent to me that this new ownership group did not need my advice or expertise, and I came to the conclusion that it was time to move on. When I expressed that sentiment to Oren and Len they immediately agreed to honor my contract and accept my resignation. I thank them for working with me through a difficult time and I wish them every continued success.”

“I want to thank Mr. Davidson for giving me the chance to manage his hockey team for the past six seasons, and I want to especially thank Ron Campbell. Like Bruce McKinney did 12 years earlier in Hershey in the American Hockey League, Ron believed in me when no one else did. Even as those around him questioned his judgment and wanted to look elsewhere for a GM, Ron stuck with me. He was, in my opinion, the unsung hero of our 2004 Stanley Cup Championship and our success through the years. I thank him deeply for his unwavering support. Finally, I want to thank our great fans who make it possible for all of us to enjoy working in this great game!”

“We thank Jay very much for his service to the Lightning organization and the Tampa Bay community,” said Koules and Barrie. “He built a great foundation for this franchise, highlighted of course by the great Stanley Cup victory in 2004. He has been nothing but the ultimate professional through the process of our ownership transition and we wish he and his family the very best moving forward.”
.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, July 11, 2008, Blogger YzermanZetterberg said...

Here's hoping the agreement is as follows...

Feaster: You pay me my full salary for the length of my contract. I can seek work elsewhere, in the NHL or otherwise. And I don't sue you for breach of contract and drag your butts through court for several years.

Koules, Barrie and Lawton: Okay.

 
At 2:45 PM, July 11, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is NHL business but nobody really talks about firings in lower level - scouts.

Head scout is already gone but there's more to follow. These guys have mortgages and families. And unlike Feaster or whining player like Boyle they're NHLers only on other people's heads.

Scouts only make 20-60.000 depending where they're located and how many years they have under their belts.

I don't exactly how many scouts Tampa has on their payroll but there's most likely at least 10 families very worried right about now.

No need to comment that life's tough and then...

 
At 3:11 PM, July 11, 2008, Anonymous oiler said...

This was an inevitable move that was all but confirmed with Tortorella was fired.

When he started, Feaster was the right guy for the job at the right time.

He would walk the halls, chatting with fans casually during each year's fan fest.

He helped sell the game in Tampa by putting an emphasis on winning and on community involvement.

Two things, we hope, will be his legacy here in Tampa, and not his

And the best move he made in 04 was bringing in Sydor long before the trade deadline bidding wars began.

 
At 12:10 AM, July 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding Tampa's scouts. Check out their draft record over the past 10 years. It's pathetic.
Maybe these goof balls have a clue in one area...the Lightning suck at drafting unless a sure fire franchise pick falls in their lap once a decade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker