Tuesday, July 15, 2008

In defence of Nolan? Not really

Greg Wyshysnki hasn't been a big fan of the site lately. Today, he somehow misreads my post on the Ted Nolan firing as a staunch defence of the former Islanders coach:
My buddy and frequent sparring partner James Mirtle is running for VP of the Ted Nolan Defense League: "There's no question the Islanders are running their team into the ground, and Nolan's biggest problem was that he simply couldn't bite his tongue as things disintegrated around him." He also questions the timing of the team's split with Nolan, seeing as how it came at the start of "the Islanders' annual five-day rookie camp." Which would indicate why Nolan and Snow met. This comment would also seem to indicate James believes Nolan was fired by the Islanders, which isn't the case.
Few in these situations are ever fired these days, are they? Jay Feaster certainly wasn't.

(Besides, I'm far from the only one calling this a firing.)

Wyshynski also misses this bit from my post, which reads as anything but a defence of Nolan's antics: "Some of his, shall we say, outbursts in the press came awfully close to questioning his GM's authority, and that's not going to fly in any organization."

The timing of the decision is also receiving its fair share of criticism, considering it's generally accepted that coaches are let go soon after the end of a season. It allows teams to begin a search for a new candidate and the coach to find another gig behind an NHL bench.

What it came down to was a clash in personalities, one GM Garth Snow seemed prepared to work through after the season but that became increasingly glaring in the press over the past few weeks. Given Nolan's thoughts a few days before the announcement, however, I have a hard time believing he was close to a resignation:
"I'm confident in my ability to coach," Nolan said. "I know I've got one year left on my contract, and I'm going to make it the best year of my coaching career. Hopefully, it will get me another one."
I don't know that he'll get that chance again.
.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, July 15, 2008, Anonymous Slater said...

Feud!!!

 
At 3:40 PM, July 15, 2008, Anonymous Anshu said...

I hope Nolan gets another chance, as I think he's a good coach who can provide a lot of value to an organization.

However, I agree with your concerns regarding his clashes with management. Once doesn't mean much. But when it happens twice then it starts to look like a trend.

 
At 4:15 PM, July 15, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muckler, Regier, Snow - three strikes.

 
At 4:24 PM, July 15, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been fired either.

Both times my employer suggested my presence was no longer desired and both time we agreed in writing that my employment ended for "mutually agreeable reasons." I think it's Excuse "K" on the EI application.

/who's kidding whom

 
At 5:10 PM, July 15, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wyshinski's a jackass...Mirtle's the man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker