Thursday, September 18, 2008

Lecavalier named captain (again)

The Tampa Bay Lightning have named center Vincent Lecavalier as team captain, executive vice president of hockey operations Brian Lawton announced. Lecavalier, in his 11th year with the Lightning, previously served as captain during the 1999-2000 and 2000-2001 seasons. Alternate captains will be announced prior to the start of the 2008-09 regular season.
No surprise at all on this one.

Teams yet to name a captain include Atlanta, Florida, Los Angeles, the Rangers, Toronto and Vancouver. Vote on your choices here.

Quotes from Lecavalier:

On being named Captain
It’s a great honor to be captain of the Tampa Bay Lightning, I have been here many years and there are a lot of great leaders on this team. I don’t think you need a letter on your sweater to be a leader, but it’s definitely a great honor to be captain.

Talking about his first stint as Captain
It seems like a million years ago, time goes by very quickly. I was 19 years old and a pretty young player; we had a very young team. Obviously we‘re more and more experienced and I’ve been through a lot of ups and downs, but I don’t think I have acted differently. I went back to an assistant, but I have always acted the same way and I will try to do the same and lead by example and do my best.

What it takes to be a Captain
First of all it is important to be a good leader and like I said before we have a great hockey club here with a lot of great leaders. Getting everybody to go in the same direction and win, and that’s what we are here to do. We had a tough last season and I don’t think we were a 30th-place team but we have to bring everything back to basics and go from there. I will do my best to do that.

On leading in the locker room
Well if it needs to be done it needs to be done, but like I said that doesn’t always have to be the guy wearing the “C” to do that. We have guys that have been in the league for 20 years, guys like (Mark) Recchi, (Gary) Roberts, guys like (Ryan) Malone who is definitely a guy that leads by example. When you see him in the finals of the Stanley Cup last year getting pucks in the face and coming back and playing even harder, he’s just a great leader. I think that’s what’s great about this club right now they’ve brought in guys that have been there, guys that want to play for each other.

Who was the best Captain in your opinion?
My favorite team was Detroit and Steve Yzerman. I have always really looked up to him. I don’t think he was the “rah rah” guy screaming in the dressing room, but I think he’s a guy who was leading by example and that played hard on the ice and that was good for his teammates and that’s what brought the team together. He’s a great hockey player, a great leader, and I will try to do the same.

On losing his “C” prior to the 2001-02 season
“It was a long time ago I think at first it was pretty tough. Anytime someone takes something away from you its tough, but like I said a guy like Dave Andreychuk came in, 20 years in the league I was 19 or 20 years old. Obviously he did a great job and we won a Stanley Cup a few years later. I don’t really think about it. This is my 10th season in this league and I’ve got a lot of experience and I will do my best to be a good captain.”
.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger Earl Sleek said...

The Anaheim captaincy is still up in the air, I think, too.

 
At 1:55 PM, September 18, 2008, Blogger Zach said...

Havent heard much out of Buffalo in terms of captain yet either, granted camp hasn't started yet either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link


.

Free Page Rank Checker
eXTReMe Tracker